Robin S. Smith, Marriage and Family Therapist
“Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care.”
– Theodore Roosevelt
About Robin S. Smith, LCMFT
It’s so rewarding to watch the people I work with grow and meet their goals. I am deeply committed to helping couples and families learn the skills they need for happy and healthy lives together, before major problems develop. We want to stop problems from getting worse and learn what we can do to make them better. Psycho-education and prevention strategies are key! So when expecting parents or families with new babies reach out for help, I take them through the principles outlined in the Bringing Baby Home Program. When premarital couples reach out, I walk them through the principles outlined in the PREPARE/ENRICH program. No matter what brings you to counseling, seeing where you can begin to make positive changes is an important first step in the process.
I am also a strong believer in giving back to the next generation of up and coming therapists. I supervise therapist interns in the Couple and Family Therapy master’s program at the University of Maryland. I get the privilege of watching therapy from behind a one way mirror in a research institute. I can watch it happen, those amazing moments when clients are just drilling down and they’ve touched something that they either haven’t touched in a really long time or they’ve never really felt they could share, or didn’t know how to put it into words. And the therapist is able to help them reach for those words, and reach for their spouse or their parent and make meaningful connections. We therapists live for those moments! That is what the work is about. It’s not just about healing, it’s not just about incremental improvement and working on new habits. It is that, but it’s also about the transformation, it’s about the end result, the outcome, and the journey.
Other passions of mine include writing, recording and performing with my band, rooting on the now 2018 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals!!! (C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!!), and of course, spending quality time with my wife and two daughters.
Have a Question?
Ready to Get Started?
Robin Smith, MS, LCMFT
Continuing Education Courses - Get to Know Robin's Professional Interests
Robin has completed the following continuing education courses:
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy to Treat PTSD
- Helping Families Reorganize: Therapy for Families Experiencing Separation and Divorce
- The Face of Emotion
- Using the Stage Model of NSSI and Readiness for Change to close the Research-Practice Gap
- The Fundamentals of Supervision Course
- Beginning Family and Couple Treatment: Views from Around the World
- MAD-AAMFT Play Therapy Conference
- Black Boys in the Eye of the Storm
- Alcohol problems in intimate relationships
- HIPAA security and privacy
- Secure attachment and mindfulness in affair recovery
- Treating Developmental Trauma: Addressing Shame and the Developing Self
- Bringing Baby Home Educator Training
- Beyond Breaking Even: Beginning & Advanced Topics for Private Practitioners
- Calming the Traumatized Brain and Heart: The Application of EFT with Trauma Couples
- A Psychodynamic Approach to Ethical Concerns
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- The Breadth and Depth of Slavery’s Wounds
- Mindfulness Certificate Course 2-day Intensive Training
- PREPARE/ENRICH Premarital Counseling Facilitator Training
- Invisible Losses: Infertility, Pregnancy Loss, and Genetics
- Healthy Parents Healthy Children
- Cultural Neuroscience
- Diagnosing Mood, Trauma, and Anxiety in DSM
Robin has registered for the following upcoming Continuing Education Courses:
Neuroscience for Clinicians: Brain Change for Stress, Anxiety, Trauma, Moods, and Substance Abuse
Discernment Counseling for Couples Considering Divorce
Effectiveness Research in MFT
Robin Smith works in Bethesda, MD and is accepting new clients.